It is well-known that a great many diseases are accompanied by chronic inflammation, but the origin of this inflammation remains mostly unclear. Hallmarks of inflammation are both a chronic hypercoagulability and upregulated inflammatory marker profile and this is accompanied by a changed blood rheology. Inflammation is therefore synonymous with a pathophysiological haematological AND coagulation system. My research has led to a better understanding and novel discoveries regarding the functioning of the coagulation system during inflammation and how rheology is affected. These novel discoveries include eluding to the specific roles of high circulating serum ferritin levels as inflammatory marker, and addition of knowledge regarding the structural and biochemical changes to RBCs, platelets, fibrin and therefore, blood clotting, during inflammation - all prominent contributors to this hypercoagulable state and pathological rheology. I specifically use viscoelastic and morphological readouts from super-resolution and electron microscopy, together with flow cytometry and thromboelastic analysis of clot structure. From these readouts, I have for the first time shown the presence of eryptotic RBCs in Parkinson's Alzheimer's, type 2 diabetes and Haemochromatosis mutations. The latter in particular, has far-reaching implications for transfusion. My research has provided extensive evidence that inflammation in chronic conditions is caused by the presence of a mostly dormant blood microbiome. The blood microbiome can be periodically resuscitated and is replenished via gut dysbioses, which accompanies all inflammatory conditions. The blood microbiome is the main sources of the potent inflammagens lipopolysaccharide (LPS) and lipoteichoic acid (LTA) which is closely associated with inflammation. I have found that the known requirement for free iron explains iron dysregulation and hydroxyl radical formation in the presence of bacterial membrane inflammagens. The presence of circulating LPS and LTA results in RBC pathology, clot coagulopathies and aberrant rheology. My research has uncovered that hypercoagulable clots are actually a beta-amyloid form of fibrin that, similar to other beta-amyloids, is both inflammatory and cytotoxic. Hypercoagulable clots can be measured, and their formation tracked using our state-of-the-art microscopy techniques and SAXS. The knowledge that LPS impacts coagulation pathophysiology has great implications for the treatment of inflammatory conditions such as Alzheimer’s disease, Parkinson’s disease and other progressive neurological conditions. The biological insight, innovation and coherence of my research is therefore that biophysical and biochemical pathophysiology seen in RBCs, platelets and fibrin packaging are a significant accompaniment to a variety of (inflammatory) diseases and the reason for hypercoagulability and aberrant rheology. The technological innovation is to use viscoelastic and structural readouts together with the latest state-of-the-art fluorescent marker methods (e.g. confocal microscopy and flow cytometry). Since 2000, I have published/in press over 260 ISI rated research papers, including papers in high impact journals like The Lancet (IF: 45.2), Journal of Hepatology (IF:11.36), various papers in Nature Scientific Reviews (IF: 5.7), Nature Reviews Rheumatology (IF: 15.66), Trends in Endocrinology and Metabolism (IF: 10.76) and Biological Reviews (IF: 11.6). I was invited to write a review on the usefulness of RBCs in the new precision medicine approach, in the clinically orientated journal, Blood Reviews (IF: 6.6) and the novel discovery of a blood microbiome was published in FEMS Microbiological Reviews (IF:13.2). I have been a regular reviewer for over 80 journals. I was also associate editor of the Journal of Alzheimer's Disease (IF: 4.15) 2017. I have supervised numerous MSc and PhD students. These students include several African, female candidates. I have delivered keynote and plenary lectures at numerous international conferences. I have received various research grants which includes private sector funding, as well as National Research Foundation (NRF-SA), equipment grant funding, Medical Research Council (MRC-SA) and an UK research grant with one of my collaborators, Prof Douglas B Kell from The University of Liverpool. In 2008 I received an Exceptional Young Researcher award (University of Pretoria) and in 2011, I was the recipient of the African Union Kwame Nkrumah Scientific Awards Programme (Basic Science and Technology: African Women in Science). I was a finalist in the NSTF–BHP BILLITON Awards (2014/2015 and 2016/2017), and winner in 2018. In 2017, I was runner-up in the South African Women in Science awards, hosted by the Department of Science and Technology (DST). Together with the aid of INNOVUS, the Technology Transfer Office of Stellenbosch University, I have filed 6 patents, (3 treatment methods and 3 biosensors for early detection of inflammation). In conclusion, I have added novel knowledge regarding the origin and pathophysiology of inflammation, particularly with regards to coagulation and my research have improved the understanding of the role of the haematological system, particularly RBCs and clot structure and blood rheology, as a marker of healthiness. My overarching focus is systemic inflammation and its pathological effect on blood rheology; and using basic cell-based techniques that are relevant to clinical practice.
Publications in peer-reviewed or refereed journals
2019 Eberhard F. Mammen Award Announcements: Most Popular Articles: won for 2018 paper in Seminars Thrombosis and Hemostasis
DB Kell and E Pretorius. 2018. To what extent are the terminal stages of sepsis, septic shock, systemic inflammatory response syndrome, and multiple organ dysfunction syndrome actually driven by a prion/amyloid form of fibrin? Seminars in Thrombosis and haemostasis.44: 224 -238. https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC6193370/
2019 Eberhard F. Mammen Award Announcements: Most Popular Articles: won for 2018 paper in Seminars Thrombosis and Hemostasis
DB Kell and E Pretorius. 2018. To what extent are the terminal stages of sepsis, septic shock, systemic inflammatory response syndrome, and multiple organ dysfunction syndrome actually driven by a prion/amyloid form of fibrin? Seminars in Thrombosis and haemostasis.44: 224 -238. https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC6193370/
- OO Akeredolu, M Page, P Soma, E Pretorius. 2019. Platelets: emerging facilitators of cellular crosstalk in rheumatoid arthritis. Nature Reviews Rheumatology www.nature.com/articles/s41584-019-0187-9
- MJE Visser, DB Kell, E Pretorius. 2019. Bacterial Dysbiosis and Translocation in Psoriasis Vulgaris. Frontier in Cellular and Infection Microbiology. 9:7. www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC6369634/
- MA Phasa, E Pretorius, A Phulukdaree. Coagulopathy in Type 2 Diabetes Mellitus: pathological mechanisms and the role of Factor XIII-A single nucleotide polymorphisms. Current Diabetes Reviews www.eurekaselect.com/169467/article
- MJ Page, GJA Thomson, JM Nunes, AM Engelbrecht, TA Nell, WJS de Villiers, MC de Beer, L Engelbrecht, DB Kell, E Pretorius. 2019. Serum amyloid A binds to fibrin(ogen), promoting fibrin amyloid formation. Scientific Reports (Nature) 9: 3102. www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC6395759/pdf/41598_2019_Article_39056.pdf
- E Teer, D Joseph, N Driescher, T Nell, LDominick, N Midgley, G Deshpande, MJ Page, E Pretorius, N Woudberg, S Lecour, R Glashoff, and MF Essop. HIV and Cardiovascular Diseases Risk: Exploring the Interplay between T cell Activation, Coagulation, Monocyte Subsets and Lipid Subclass Alterations. American Journal of Physiology: Heart and Circulatory Physiology 316(5):H1146-H1157. www.physiology.org/doi/abs/10.1152/ajpheart.00797.2018
- MJ Nunes and E Pretorius 2019. Red Blood Cell Membrane Cholesterol in Type 2 Diabetes Mellitus. Thrombosis Research doi.org/10.1016/j.thromres.2019.04.005 open access link (50 days): authors.elsevier.com/a/1YuuKBEfCd9ty
- BS Jackson, E Pretorius. 2019. Pathological clotting and deep vein thrombosis in patients with HIV. Seminars in Thrombosis and Hemostasis. . doi: 10.1055/s-0038-167637 45(2):132-140. www.thieme-connect.com/products/ejournals/abstract/10.1055/s-0038-1676374
- S Randeria, GJA Thomson, TA Nell, T Roberts, E Pretorius. 2019. Inflammatory cytokines in Type 2 Diabetes Mellitus as facilitators of hypercoagulation and abnormal clot formation. Cardiovascular Diabetology.18:72 rdcu.be/bFJhM
- E Pretorius. 2019. Platelets as potent signaling entities in type 2 Diabetes Mellitus. Trends in Endocrinology and Metabolism. doi.org/10.1016/j.tem.2019.05.003
- B Adams, JM Nunes, MJ Page, T Roberts, J Carr, TA Nell, DB Kell, E Pretorius. 2019. Parkinson’s disease: a systemic inflammatory disease accompanied by bacterial inflammagens. Frontiers in Aging Neuroscience www.frontiersin.org/articles/10.3389/fnagi.2019.00210/full
- MJ Page, E Pretorius 2019 A champion of host defence: a generic large—scale cause for platelet dysfunction and depletion in infection Seminars in Thrombosis and Hemostasis (accepted)
- MJE Visser, E Pretorius 2019 Atomic Force Microscopy: The Characterisation of Amyloid Protein Structure in Pathology Current Topics in Medicinal Chemistry (Accepted)
- DB Kell and E Pretorius. 2018. To what extent are the terminal stages of sepsis, septic shock, systemic inflammatory response syndrome, and multiple organ dysfunction syndrome actually driven by a prion/amyloid form of fibrin? Seminars in Thrombosis and haemostasis.44: 224 -238.
- MJ Page, J Bester & E Pretorius. 2018. Interleukin-12 and its procoagulant effect on erythrocytes, platelets and fibrin(ogen): the lesser known side of inflammation. British Journal of Haematology 180: 110-117.
- J Bester, C. Matshailwe & E Pretorius. 2018 Simultaneous presence of hypercoagulation and increased clot lysis time due to IL-1β, IL-6 and IL-8. Cytokine. S1043-4666(18)30007-3. doi: 10.1016/j.cyto.2018.01.007.
- DB Kell & E Pretorius. 2018. No effects without causes. The Iron Dysregulation and Dormant Microbes hypothesis for chronic, inflammatory diseases. Biological Reviews doi: 10.1111/brv.12407 www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC6055827/
- MJ Page, J Bester & E Pretorius. 2018. The inflammatory effects of TNF-α and complement component 3 on coagulation. Scientific Reports (Nature) 8(1):1812 www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC5789054/
- E. Pretorius. 2018.Erythrocyte deformability and eryptosis during inflammation and impaired blood hemorheology. Clinical Hemorheology and Microcirculation. 69: 545-550.
- E. Pretorius, MJ Page, L. Hendriks, NM Nkosi, SR Benson & DB Kell. 2018. Both lipopolysaccharide and lipoteichoic acids potently induce anomalous fibrin amyloid formation: assessment with novel AmytrackerTM stains. Royal Society Interface 15: 20170941.
- E. Pretorius, MJ Page, S Mbotwe, DB Kell. 2018. Lipopolysaccharide-binding protein (LBP) can reverse the amyloid state of fibrin seen or induced in Parkinson's disease. PlosOne 13(3): e0192121.
- E Pretorius, J Bester MJ Page, DB Kell. 2018. The potential of LPS-binding protein to reverse amyloid formation in plasma fibrin of individuals with Alzheimer-type dementia. Frontiers in Aging Neuroscience. 10: 257
- JN du Plooy, J Bester, E Pretorius. 2018. Eryptosis in Haemochromatosis: Implications for rheology. Clinical Hemorheology and Microcirculation. EPrint doi: 10.3233/CH-170325.
- SVS Kumar, E Pretorius GK Rajanikant. 2018. Synergistic combination of Everolimus and Paroxetine exerts post-ischemic neuroprotection in vitro. Cellular and Molecular Neurobiology. https://doi.org/10.1007/s10571-018-0605-6: 1-15.
- GM de Waal, L Engelbrecht, T Davis, WJS de Villiers, DB Kell, E Pretorius. 2018. Correlative Light-Electron Microscopy detects lipopolysaccharide and its association with fibrin fibres in Parkinson’s Disease, Alzheimer’s Disease and Type 2 Diabetes Mellitus. Scientific Reports (Nature) 14;8(1):16798 www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC6235901/
- L Pretorius, E Pretorius, DB Kell. 2018. Iron dysregulation and dormant microbes as causative agents for impaired blood rheology and pathological clotting in Alzheimer’s type dementia. Frontiers in Neuroscience 12: 851.
- L Pretorius, GJA Thomson, RCM Adams, TN Nell. WA Laubscher, E Pretorius. Platelet activity and hypercoagulation in type 2 diabetes. Cardiovascular Diabetology 17: 141
- E Pretorius, OO Akeredolu, P Soma & DB Kell. 2017. Major involvement of bacterial components in rheumatoid arthritis and its accompanying oxidative stress, systemic inflammation and hypercoagulability. Experimental Biology and Medicine 242:355-373
- T Chetty, NI Masingi, Z Laher, E Pretorius. 2017. Acute megakaryoblastic leukaemia: light microscopy and scanning microscopy of blast cells. British Journal of Haematology 176:686
- E Pretorius. 2017. Precision medicine and the patient-orientated approach: is this the future for tracking Cardiovascular Disorders? Current Pharmaceutical Design 23:1-5.
- P Soma, AC Swanepoel, J Bester, E Pretorius 2017. Tissue factor levels in Type 2 Diabetes Mellitus. Inflammation Research 66: 365-368.
- AC Swanepoel, P Naidoo, VC Nielsen, E Pretorius. 2017. Clinical relevance of Hypercoagulability and possible Hypofibrinolysis associated with Estrone and Estriol. Microscopy Research and Technique. 80, 697-703
- AC Swanepoel, O Emmerson, E Pretorius. 2017. The effect of endogenous and synthetic estrogens on whole blood clot formation and erythrocyte structure. Microscopy and Microanalysis. 23(3):599-606.
- Swanepoel AC, Emmerson O, Pretorius E. 2017. Effect of progesterone and synthetic progestins on whole blood clot formation and erythrocyte structure. Microscopy ad Microanalysis. 23, 607-617.
- J Visser, PJ van Staden, P Soma, A Buys E Pretorius. 2017. The stabilizing effect of an oligomeric proanthocyanidin on red blood cell membrane structure of poorly controlled Type II diabetes. Nutrition and Diabetes (Nature journal) 7, e275
- E Pretorius, AC Swanepoel, S de Villiers, J Bester. Blood clot parameters: thromboelastography and scanning electron microscopy in research and clinical practice. Thrombosis Research 154: 59-63.
- AK Choudhary, & E Pretorius. 2017. Revisiting the safety of aspartame. Nutrition Reviews 75: 718-730.
- E Pretorius, S Mbotwe, & DB Kell. 2017. Lipopolysaccharide-binding protein (LBP) reverses the amyloid state of fibrin seen in plasma of type 2 diabetics with cardiovascular co-morbidities. Scientific Reports (Nature) 7, 9680.
- OO Olumuyiwa-Akeredolu, P Soma, AV Buys, LK Debusho & E Pretorius. 2017. Characterizing pathology in erythrocytes using morphological and biophysical membrane properties: relation to impaired hemorheology and cardiovascular function in rheumatoid arthritis. Biomembranes 1859: 2381-2391
- E Pretorius, MJ Page L Engelbrecht, GC Ellis, DB Kell. 2017. Substantial fibrin amyloidogenesis in type 2 diabetes assessed using amyloid-selective fluorescent stains. Cardiovascular Diabetology.16: 141. (doi:10.1186/s12933-017-0624-5)
- J Bester, M van Rooy, S Mbotwe, W Duim, E Pretorius. 2016. Transient Ischemic Attack during smoking: the thrombotic state of erythrocytes and platelets illustrated visually. Ultrastructural Pathology 40 (1): 57 – 59.
- OO Olumuyiwa-Akeredolu, E Pretorius 2016. Rheumatoid Arthritis: Notable Biomarkers Linking to Chronic Systemic Conditions and Cancer. Current Pharmaceutical Design 22(7): 918-924.
- S de Villiers, AC Swanepoel, J Bester, E Pretorius. 2016 Novel diagnostic and monitoring tools in stroke: an individualized patient-centered precision medicine approach. JAT 23(5):493-504.
- E Pretorius, OO. Olumuyiwa-Akeredolu, S Mbotwe, J Bester. 2016. Erythrocytes and their role as health indicator: using structure in a patient-orientated precision medicine approach. Blood Reviews. 30: 263–274.
- R Itzhaki et al., 2016. Microbes and Alzheimer's Disease. Journal of Alzheimer’s Disease. 51: 979-84 www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC5457904/
- E Pretorius, J Bester, DB Kell. 2016. A bacterial component to Alzheimer-type dementia seen via a systems biology approach that links iron dysregulation to disease. Journal of Alzheimer’s Disease. 58: 1237-1256
- P Soma, AC Swanepoel, JN du Plooy, T Mqoco, E Pretorius. Flow cytometric analysis of platelets type 2 diabetes mellitus reveals 'angry' platelets. Cardiovascular Diabetology 15(1):52
- E Pretorius and J Bester. 2016. Viscoelasticity as a measurement of clot structure in poorly controlled type 2 diabetes patients: towards a precision and personalized medicine approach Oncotarget: Precision Medicine DOI: 10.18632/oncotarget.10618
- L Repsold, E Pretorius, AM Joubert. 2016. Ex vivo apoptotic and autophagic influence of an estradiol analogue on platelets. Experimental Oncology and Hematology 5:18
- E Pretorius, S Mbotwe, J Bester, C Robinson, DB Kell. Acute induction of anomalous and amyloidogenic blood clotting by molecular amplification of highly substoichiometric levels of bacterial lipopolysaccharide (LPS). Journal of the Royal Society Interface 13: 20160539. www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC5046953/
- E Pretorius, JN du Plooy, J Bester. 2016. A comprehensive review on eryptosis. Cellular and Physiological Biochemistry 39:(5) 1977-2000.
- DB Kell and E Pretorius. 2016. Proteins behaving badly. Substoichiometric molecular control and amplification of the initiation and nature of amyloid fibril formation: lessons from and for blood clotting. Progress in Biophysics and Molecular Biology. http://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S0079610716300499
- AC Swanepoel, A Visagie, E Pretorius. 2016. Synthetic Hormones and Clot Formation. Microcopy and Microanalysis. 12:1-9.
- E Pretorius and J Bester. 2016. Effects of IL-1β, IL-6 and IL-8 on erythrocytes, platelets and clot viscoelasticity. Nature Scientific Reports 6:32188.
- AC Swanepoel, A Visagie, Z de Lange, O Emmerson, VG Nielsen, E Pretorius. 2016. The clinical relevance of altered fibrinogen packaging in the presence of 17β-estradiol and progesterone. Thrombosis Research 146: 23–34.
- MA Strydom, J Bester, S Mbotwe, E Pretorius. 2016. The effect of physiological levels of South African puff adder (Bitis arietans) venom on blood cells: an in vitro model. Nature Scientific Reports 6: 35988.
- DB Kell, E Pretorius. 2015. The simultaneous occurrence of both hypercoagulability and hypofibrinolysis in blood and serum during systemic inflammation, and the roles of iron and fibrin(ogen) Integrative Biology DOI: 10.1039/C4IB00173G 7 (1), 24 - 52.
- AC Swanepoel and E Pretorius. 2015 Ultrastructural analysis of platelets during three phases of pregnancy: a qualitative and quantitative investigation. Hematology 20, 39-47.
- M van Rooy, E Pretorius. 2015. Metabolic syndrome, platelet activation and the development of transient ischemic attack or thromboembolic stroke. Thrombosis Research 135(3):434-42. doi: 10.1016/j.thromres.2014.12.030.
- M van Rooy, E Pretorius. 2015. Platelet interaction with erythrocytes and propensity to aggregation in essential thrombocythaemia. The Lancet S0140-6736(14)62293-5. doi: 10.1016/S0140-6736(14)62293-5.
- E Pretorius; J Bester; N Vermeulen; S Alummoottil; P Soma; AV Buys; DB Kell. 2015. Poorly controlled type 2 diabetes is accompanied by significant morphological and ultrastructural changes in both erythrocytes and in thrombin-generated fibrin: implications for diagnostics. Cardiovascular Diabetology 14:30. doi: 10.1186/s12933-015-0192-5.
- VG Nielsen, E Pretorius, Janette Bester, WK Jacobsen, PK Boyle, JP Reinhard. 2015. Carbon Monoxide and Iron Modulate Plasmatic Coagulation in Alzheimer’s disease: A Viscoelastic and Ultrastructural Assessment. Current Neurovascular Research 12(1):31-9.
- AC Swanepoel, VG Nielsen, E Pretorius. 2015. Viscoelasticity and ultrastructure in coagulation and inflammation: two diverse techniques, one conclusion. Infammation Eprint 38(4):1707-26 .
- Potgieter, J Bester, DB Kell, E Pretorius. 2015. The dormant blood microbiome in non-communicable diseases. FEMS Microbiology Reviews 39(4):567-91 doi: 10.1093/femsre/fuv013.
- C. Levin, A. Koren, E. Pretorius, N. Rosenberg, B. Shenkman, H. Hauschner, L. Zalman, M. Khayat, I. Salama, O. Elpeleg, and S. Shalev. 2015. Deleterious mutation in the FYB gene is associated with congenital autosomal recessive small-platelet thrombocytopenia (CARST). Journal of Thrombosis and Hemostasis 13(7):1285-92.
- Oore O Olumuyiwa-Akeredolu Etheresia Pretorius. 2015. Platelet and Red Blood Cell Interactions and their Role in Rheumatoid Arthritis. Rheumatology International 35: 1955-1964.
- M van Rooy, W Duim, R Ehlers, AV Buys, E Pretorius. 2015. Platelet hyperactivity and fibrin clot structure in metabolic syndrome-induced transient ischemic attack: a microscopy and thromboelastography® study. Cardiovascular Diabetology 14(1):86
- Q Wessels and E Pretorius. 2015. Development and ultrastructure of an ultra-thin silicone epidermis of bioengineered alternative tissue. International Wound Journal 12(4):428-31
- P Soma, E Pretorius. 2015. Interplay between ultrastructural findings and atherothrombotic complications in type 2 diabetes mellitus. Cardiovascular Diabetology 14:96. doi: 10.1186/s12933-015-0261-9.
- DB Kell, M Potgieter, E Pretorius. 2015. Individuality, phenotypic differentiation, dormancy and ‘persistence’ in culturable bacterial systems: commonalities shared by environmental, laboratory, and clinical microbiology. F1000Research 4:179. doi: 10.12688/f1000research.6709.2. eCollection 2015.
- Kell, D. B. and E. Pretorius 2015. On the translocation of bacteria and their lipopolysaccharides between blood and peripheral locations in chronic, inflammatory diseases: the central roles of LPS and LPS-induced cell death. Integrative Biology 7(11):1339-77.
- J Bester, P Soma, DB Kell, E Pretorius. 2015. Viscoelastic and ultrastructural characteristics of whole blood and plasma in Alzheimer-type dementia, and the possible role of bacterial lipopolysaccharides (LPS). Oncotarget 6(34): 35284 - 35303.
- L Repsold, E Pretorius, AM Joubert. 2015. Ex vivo determination of an estradiol analogue on blood morphology and angiogenic biomarkers. Microscopy and Microanalysis 24:1-13.
- DB Kell and E Pretorius. 2015. Interpreting raised serum ferritin levels. BMJ;351:h3692.
- AC Swanepoel and E Pretorius. 2015. Prevention and follow-up in thromboembolic ischemic stroke: Do we need to think out of the box? Thrombosis Research.136: 1067-1073.
- E Pretorius, J Bester, N Vermeulen, B Lipinski, GS Gericke & DB Kell. 2014. Profound morphological changes in the erythrocytes and fibrin networks of patients with hemochromatosis or with hyperferritinemia, and their normalization by iron chelators and other agents PlosOne 9(1):e85271.
- J Jankun, P Landeta, E Pretorius, E Skrzypczak-Jankun and B Lipinski. 2014. Unusual clotting dynamics of plasma supplemented with iron(III). International Journal of Molecular Medicine 33(2):367-72.
- E Pretorius, N Vermeulen, J Bester, JL du Plooy, GS Gericke. 2014. The effect of iron overload on red blood cell morphology. The Lancet 383(9918):722 DOI:10.1016/S0140-6736(13)61208-8.
- DB Kell, E Pretorius. 2014. Serum ferritin is an important inflammatory disease marker, as it is mainly a leakage product from damaged cells. Metallomics 6(4):748-73. DOI:10.1039/c3mt00347g
- E Pretorius. 2014. Smokers as blood donors: what do their red blood cell membranes tell us? Transfusion 54(2):266.
- VG Nielsen and E Pretorius. 2014. Carbon Monoxide: Anticoagulant or Procoagulant? Thrombosis Research 133(3):315-321.
- B Lipinski and E Pretorius. Iron-induced fibrin formation may explain vascular pathology in Alzheimer’s disease. Folia Neuropathologica 52(2):205.
- Q Wessels and E Pretorius. 2014. The potential of a 1cinamide dominated cosmeceutical formulation on fibroblast activity and wound healing in vitro. International Wound Journal 11(2):152-8
- AY Gasparyan, L Ayvazyan, E Pretorius, and GD. Kitas 2014. Platelets in Rheumatic Diseases: Friends or Foes? Current Pharmaceutical Design 20(4):552-66.
- M van Rooy and E Pretorius. 2014. Obesity, hypertension and hypercholesterolemia as risk factors for atherosclerosis leading to ischemic events. Current Medicinal Chemistry 21(19):2121-9.
- GK Rajanikant and E Pretorius. 2014. Critical appraisal of ischemic stroke pathophysiology: road to cerebral resuscitation? part II. Current Medicinal Chemistry 2014;21(19):2119-20.
- E Pretorius, JN du Plooy, P Soma, AY Gasparyan. An ultrastructural analysis of platelets, erythrocytes, white blood cells and fibrin network in systemic lupus erythematosus. Rheumatology International 34(7):1005-9.
- E Pretorius; N Vermeulen; J Bester 2014. Atypical erythrocytes and platelets in a patient with a pro-thrombin mutation. Platelets 25(6):461-2
- E Pretorius, DB Kell, 2014. Diagnostic morphology: biophysical indicators for iron-driven inflammatory diseases. Integrative Biology 6(5):486-510. DOI: 10.1039/c4ib00025k.
- VG Nielsen, E Pretorius. 2014. Iron Enhanced Coagulation is Attenuated by Chelation: A Thrombelastographic and Ultrastructural Analysis. Blood, Coagulation and Fibrinolysis 25(8):845-50.
- AC Swanepoel, BG Lindeque, PJ Swart, Z Abdool, E Pretorius. 2014 Estrogen causes ultrastructural changes of fibrin networks during the menstrual cycle: a qualitative investigation. Microscopy Research and Technique 77(8):594-601
- AC Swanepoel, BG Lindeque, PJ Swart, Z Abdool, E Pretorius. 2014. Part 2: Ultrastructural changes of fibrin networks during three phases of pregnancy: a qualitative investigation. Microscopy Research and Technique 77(8):602-8.
- L Repsold, E Pretorius, AM Joubert. 2014. An estrogen analogue and promising anticancer agent refrains from inducing morphological damage and reactive oxygen species generation in erythrocytes, fibrin and platelets: a pilot study. Cancer Cell International 14:48.
- E Pretorius, AC Swanepoel, AV Buys, N Vermeulen, W Duim, DB Kell. 2014. Eryptosis as a marker of Parkinson’s disease. Aging-US 6(10):788-819.
- AC Swanepoel, E Pretorius. Erythrocytes-platelet interaction in uncomplicated pregnancy. Microscopy and Microanalysis 20(6):1848-60.
- VG Nielsen, E Pretorius. 2014. Iron and carbon monoxide enhance coagulation and attenuate fibrinolysis by different mechanisms. Blood Coagul Fibrinolysis. 25(7):695-702.
- E Pretorius, N Vermeulen, J Bester, B Lipinski, DB Kell. 2013. A novel method for assessing the role of iron and its functional chelation in fibrin fibril formation: the use of scanning electron microscopy. Toxicology Mechanisms and Methods 23(5):352-9
- E Pretorius, J Bester, N Vermeulen, B Lipinski. 2013. Oxidation Inhibits Iron-induced Blood Coagulation. Current Drug Targets 14: 13-19.
- M Potgieter, E Pretorius, M Pepper. 2013. Primary and secondary coenzyme Q10 deficiency: the role of therapeutic supplementation. Nutrition Reviews 71(3):180-188
- AC Swanepoel, A Stander, E Pretorius. 2013. Flow cytometric comparison of platelets from a whole blood and finger-prick sample: impact of 24 hours storage. Hematology 18(2):106-14.
- E Pretorius, B Lipinski. 2013. Differences in morphology of fibrin clots induced with thrombin and ferric ions and its pathophysiological consequences. Heart, Lung and Circulation 22(6):447-449.
- E Pretorius, N Vermeulen, J Bester, B Lipinski. 2013 Novel Use of Scanning Electron Microscopy for Detection of Iron-Induced Morphological Changes in Human Blood. Microscopy Research and Technique 76(3):268-71
- E Pretorius, B Lipinski. 2013. Thrombo-embolic ischemic stroke changes red blood cell morphology. Cardiovascular Pathology 22(3):241-2.
- AV Buys, M Rooy, P Soma, D van Papendorp, B Lipinski, E Pretorius. 2013. Changes in red blood cell membrane structure in Type 2 Diabetes: a scanning electron and atomic force microscopy study. Cardiovascular Diabetology 28; 12(1):25.
- E Pretorius, B Lipinski, J Bester, N Vermeulen, P Soma 2013. Albumin stabilizes fibrin fiber ultrastructure in low serum albumin type 2 diabetes. Ultrastructural Pathology 37(4):254-.7
- Du Plessis J, Roos L, Slavik T, Stivaktas PI, Nieuwoudt M, van Wyk SG, Vieira W4, Pretorius E, Beukes M, Van der Merwe SW. 2013. Activated intestinal macrophages in liver cirrhosis produce nitric oxide and disrupt intestinal barrier function. Journal of Hepatology 58(6):1125-32.
- HM Oberholzer, E Pretorius. 2013. The effect of Sibutramine on platelet morphology of Spraque-Dawley rats fed a high energy diet. Microscopy Research and Technique 76:653-657.
- E Pretorius. 2013. The adaptability of red blood cells. Cardiovascular Diabetology. 12:63.
- B Lipinski and E Pretorius. 2013. Iron-induced fibrin in cardiovascular disease. Current Neurovascular Research 10: 269-274.
- JN du Plooy, AV Buys, W Duim and E Pretorius. Comparison of platelet ultrastructure and elastic properties in thrombo-embolic ischemic stroke and smoking using atomic force and scanning electron microscopy. PlosOne 8(7):e69774
- W van der Spuy and E Pretorius. 2013. A place for ultrastructural analysis of platelets in cerebral ischemic research. Microscopy Research and Technique 76(8):795-802.
- WJ van der Spuy and E Pretorius. 2013. Interaction of Red Blood Cells Adjacent to and Within a Thrombus in Experimental Cerebral Ischaemia. Thrombosis Research 132(6):718-23
- E Pretorius, JN du Plooy, P Soma, I Keyser, AV Buys. 2013. Smoking and fluidity of erythrocyte membranes: a high resolution scanning electron and atomic force microscopy investigation. NOX. 35C:42-46
- B Lipinski and E Pretorius. 2013. The role of iron-induced fibrin in the pathogenesis of Alzheimer’s disease and the protective role of magnesium. Frontiers in Human Neuroscience 7 :1-11.
- J Bester, AV Buys, B Lipinski, DB Kell, E Pretorius. 2013. High ferritin levels have major effects on the morphology of erythrocytes in Alzheimer’s disease. Frontiers in Aging Neurscience doi: 10.3389/fnagi.2013.00088. eCollection 2013.
- E Pretorius, MJ Engelbrecht, W Duim. 2012. Thrombo-embolic ischemic stroke and the presence of necrotic platelets: a scanning electron microscopy investigation. Ultrastructural Pathology 36(1):19-22.
- A.C. Swanepoel and E Pretorius. 2012. Scanning electron microscopy analysis of erythrocytes in thromboembolic ischemic stroke. International Journal of Laboratory Hematology 34(2):185-91.
- B Lipinski and E Pretorius. 2012. Novel Pathway of Iron-Induced Blood Coagulation: Implications for Diabetes Mellitus and Its Complications. Polish Archives of Internal Medicine (POLSKIE ARCHIWUM MEDYCYNY WEWNETRZNEJ) 122(3):115-22.
- E. Pretorius, H.M. Oberholzer, W.J. van der Spuy, A.C. Swanepoel, P. Soma 2012. Scanning electron microscopy of fibrin networks in rheumatoid arthritis: a qualitative analysis. Rheumatology International 32:1611–1615.
- B. Lipinski, E.Pretorius,HM Oberholzer, WJ van der Spuy. 2012. Interaction of fibrin with red blood cells: the role of iron. Ultrastructural Pathology 36: 77-84.
- B. Lipinski, E.Pretorius,HM Oberholzer, WJ van der Spuy. 2012. Iron enhances generation of fibrin fibers in human blood: Implications for pathogenesis of stroke. Microscopy Research and Technique 15: 1185-1190.
- AV Buys and E. Pretorius. 2012. Comparing different preparation methods to study human fibrin fibers and platelets using TEM. Microscopy Research and Technique. 75(6): 801-806.
- MA Oosthuizen, HM Oberholzer, MR Scriba, WJ van der Spuy, E Pretorius. 2012. Evaluation of the morphological changes in the lungs of BALB/c mice after inhalation of spherical and rod-shaped titanium nanoparticles. Micron 43: 863–869.
- WJ van der Spuy and E Pretorius. 2012. The Interrelation between Inflammation, Thrombosis and Neuroprotection in Cerebral Ischaemia. Reviews in the Neurosciences 23(3): 269-78.
- E Pretorius. 2012. Ultrastructural changes in platelet membranes due to cigarette smoking. Ultrastructural Pathology 36(4): 239–243.
- B. Lipinski and E. Pretorius. 2012. Hydroxyl radical-modified fibrinogen as a marker of thrombosis: the role of iron. Hematology 17(4):241-7.
- E Pretorius. 2012. GUT Bacteria and Aspartame: why are we surprised? European Journal of Clinical Nutrition (A NATURE JOURNAL) 66(8): 972.
- HM Oberholzer, E Pretorius. 2012. The role of Sibutramine in the treatment of obesity and a hypothesis on its possible psychological effects. Progress in Nutrition 2: 108-114.
- M. Potgieter, E. Pretorius, C.F. Van der Merwe, M. Beukes, W.A. Vieira, REG Auer, M Auer, S Meyer. 2011. Histological assessment of SJL/J mice treated with the antioxidants Coenzyme Q10 and Resveratrol. Micron 42: 275-282.
- E. Pretorius. 2011. The Forgotten Science: Reviving Morphology. J of Microscopy 241(2): 219-220.
- E. Pretorius. 2011. Traditional coating techniques in scanning electron microscopy compared to uncoated charge compensator technology: looking at human blood fibrin networks with the ZEISS ULTRA plus FEG-SEM. Microscopy, Research and Technique 74:343–346
- E. Pretorius, AC Swanepoel, HM Oberholzer, WJ van der Spuy. W Duim, PF Wessels. 2011. A descriptive investigation of the ultrastructure of fibrin networks in thrombo-embolic ischemic stroke. Journal of Thrombosis and Thrombolysis 31: 507-513.
- E Pretorius. 2011. Quantifying changes in fibrin fiber network morphology. Ultrastructural Pathology 35(4):150-4.
- E Pretorius, HM Oberholzer, WJ van der Spuy, AC Swanepoel, P Soma. 2011. Qualitative scanning electron microscopy analysis of fibrin networks and platelet abnormalities in diabetes. Blood, Coagulation and Fibrinolysis 22(6):463-7.
- WJ van der Spuy, E Pretorius. The Qualitative Effects of Resveratrol and Coenzyme Q10 Administration on the Gluteus Complex Muscle Morphology of SJL/J Mice with Dysferlinopathy. International J of Morphology 29(3): 876-884.
- E Pretorius. 2011. The use of a desktop scanning electron microscope as a diagnostic tool in studying fibrin networks of thrombo-embolic ischemic stroke Ultrastructural Pathology 35:1-6.
- E. Pretorius, J.Olivier, HM Oberholzer, WJ van der Spuy. Scanning electron microscopy investigation of fibrin networks after thermal injury Onderstepoort Veterinary Journal (E Print).
- E Pretorius, HM Oberholzer, WJ van der Spuy, RC Franz. 2011. Comparing techniques: the use of recalcified plasma in comparison with citrated plasma alone and in combination with thrombin in ultrastructural studies. Hematology (6):337-40.
- E. Pretorius, H Steyn, M Engelbrecht, AC Swanepoel, HM Oberholzer. 2011. Differences in fibrin fiber diameters in healthy individuals and thromboembolic ischemic stroke patients. Blood Coagulation and Fibrinolysis 22(8):696-700.
- WA Vieira, HM Oberholzer, E. Pretorius. 2011. The morphological effects of asthma, as well as conventional and alternative asthma therapies on parietal and chief cells in the stomach of BALB/c mice. International J of Morphology 29(4):1341-1350.
- E Pretorius, HM Oberholzer, WJ van der Spuy and JH Meiring. 2010. Age-related changes in fibrin networks and platelets of individuals over 75: a scanning electron microscopy study showing ‘‘thrombotic preparedness’’ . Journal of Thrombosis and Thrombolysis. 29 (3): 271-275.
- WJ van der Spuy, M Potgieter, E Pretorius, WA Vieira. 2010. Differential Leukocyte Counts of SJL/J Mice with Dysferlinopathy treated with resveratrol and coenzyme q10. Scandinavian Journal of Laboratory Animal Science 37: 93-99.
- E. Pretorius 2010. The influence of acceleration voltage on scanning electron microscopy of human blood platelets. Microscopy, Research and Technique. 73(3):225-8
- E Pretorius, HM Oberholzer, WJ van der Spuy, JH Meiring. 2010. Smoking and coagulation: the sticky fibrin phenomenon. Ultrastructural Pathology 34(4):236-9.
- HM Oberholzer and E Pretorius. 2010. The role of vitamins and minerals in the alleviation of asthma symptoms. Early Child Development and Care 180(7): 913–920.
- WA Vieira and E Pretorius. The impact of asthma on the gastrointestinal tract (GIT). Journal of Asthma and Allergy 3: 123-130.
- E Pretorius. 2010. The changing coagulation profile of females: can ultrastructure of fibrin teach us something? The Journal of Coagulation Disorders
- E Pretorius, UB Windberger, HM Oberholzer,REJ Auer. 2010. Comparative ultrastructure of fibrin networks of a dog after thrombotic ischemic stroke. Onderstepoort Veterinary Journal . 77 (1): (eprint) http://www.ojvr.org/index.php/ojvr/issue/view/1/showToc
- E Pretorius, R Crookes, HM Oberholzer, WJ van der Spuy. 2010. Investigating the effect of a platelet additive solution on apheresis platelet and fibrin network ultrastructure. Transfusion and Apheresis Science 43(3):347-51.
- Y Scholtz, M Steyn, E Pretorius. 2010. A geometric morphometric study into the sexual dimorphism of the human scapula. HOMO 61: 253–270.
- E. Pretorius, HM Oberholzer, WJ van der Spuy, JH Meiring. 2010. The changed ultrastructure of fibrin networks during use of oral contraception and hormone replacement. Journal of Thrombosis and Thrombolysis 30:502-506.
- M.A. Oosthuizen, E. Pretorius, H.M. Oberholzer, W.J. van der Spuy. 2010. Ultrastructural Analyses of Platelets and Fibrin Networks in BALB/c Mice after Inhalation of Spherical and Rod-Shaped Titanium Nanoparticles. International Journal of Morphology 28: 1263-1271.
- E Pretorius, P Bronkhorst, S Briedenhann, E Smit, RC Franz. 2009. Comparisons of the fibrin networks during pregnancy, non-pregnancy and pregnancy during dysfibrinogenaemia using the scanning electron microscope. Blood, Coagulation and Fibrinolysis 20(1):12-16.
- P Humphries and E Pretorius. Addressing comments by JD Fernstrom. 2009. European Journal of Clinical Nutrition 63: 695-698.
- E. Pretorius, HM Oberholzer, E. Smit. 2009. Ultrastructure of platelets and fibrin networks of asthmatic mice exposed to selenium and Withania somnifera. Anatomical Science International 84(3):210-7.
- E Pretorius, HM Oberholzer, E Smit, E Steyn, S Briedenhann, RC Franz. 2009. Investigating the ultrastructure of platelets of HIV patients treated with the immuno-regulator, Canova: a qualitative scanning electron microscopy study. Histology and Histopathology 24: 399-405.
- E Pretorius and HM Oberholzer. 2009.Ultrastructural changes of platelets and fibrin networks in human asthma: a qualitative case study. Blood, Coagulation and Fibrinolysis 20(2):146-149.
- E. Pretorius, WA Vieira, N Oberholzer and REJ Auer. 2009. Comparative scanning electron microscopy of platelets and fibrin networks of humans and different animals. International Journal of Morphology 27(1):69-76.
- AC Oettlé, E Pretorius, M Steyn. 2009. Geometric morphometric analysis of the use of mandibular gonial eversion in sex determination. HOMO 60(1):29-43.
- M Potgieter, E Pretorius, H M Oberholzer. 2009. Qualitative electron microscopic analysis of cultured chick embryonic cardiac and skeletal muscle cells: the cellular effect of coenzyme q10 after exposure to triton-x 100. Ultrastructural Pathology 33: 93-101.
- E Pretorius, HM Oberholzer, PJ Becker. 2009. Comparing the Cytotoxic Potential of Withania somnifera Water and Methanol Extracts. African Journal of Traditional, Complementary and Alternative Medicine. 6(3): 275-280.
- E Pretorius, MS Bornman, S Reif, HM Oberholzer, RC Franz. 2009. Ultrastructural changes of platelet aggregates and fibrin networks in a patient with renal clear cell adenocarcinoma: a scanning electron microscopy study. Microscopy, Research and Technique. 72: 679–683.
- E Pretorius. 2009. The role of Alternative and Complementary Treatments of Asthma. 2009. Acupuncture and Electro-Therapeutics Research. 34(1-2):15-26.
- W van der Spuy and E Pretorius. 2009. The role of Resveratrol in the prevention and treatment of obesity: A Review. Nutrition Research Reviews. 22:1-7.
- HM Oberholzer and E Pretorius. 2009. Investigating lung remodeling in MODUL8® -treated BALB/c asthmatic animals. Micron 40(8):775-82.
- E Pretorius. 2009. The role of serotonin and cholesterol in asthma. Progress in Neuro-Psychopharmacology & Biological Psychiatry. 33(5):910-911.
- E Pretorius. 2007/2008 (2009December issue). The role of platelet and fibrin ultrastructure in identifying disease patterns. Pathophysiology, Thrombosis and Haemostasis. 36: 251-258
- E Pretorius, HM Oberholzer, WJ van der Spuy JH Meiring. 2009. Macrothrombocytopenia: Investigating the ultrastructure of platelets and fibrin networks using scanning and transmission electron microscopy. Ultrastructural Pathology 33(5):216-21.
- E Smit, HM Oberholzer and E Pretorius. 2009. A review of immunomodulators with focus on the homeopathic product Canova®. Homeopathy 98: 169-176. (Sited by firstname.lastname@example.org)
- HM Oberholzer, WA Vieira and E Pretorius. 2009. Investigating the effect of the homeopathic immunomodulator, MODUL8®, on blood count, bronchial lavage and fibrin ultrastructure on experimental asthmatic BALB/c mice. International Journal of Morphology. 27(3):955-963.
- P Humphries, E Pretorius, H Naudé. 2008. Direct and indirect cellular effects of aspartame on the brain. European Journal of Clinical Nutrition 62: 451-462.
- MB Boca, E Pretorius, C Kgajeb, Z Apostolides. Assessment of MEKC 2008. suitability for residue drug monitoring on pharmaceutical manufacturing equipment. Journal of
- Pharmaceutical and Biomedical Analysis 46: 631-638.
- P. Humphries, E. Smit, E. Pretorius. 2008. Ultrastructural morphology of platelets and fibrin networks of lactating and non-pregnant rabbits. Anatomia, Histologia, Embryologia 37: 285–288.
- E Pretorius, HM Oberholzer E Smit. 2008. Ultrastructure of activated mouse platelets: a qualitative scanning electron microscopy study. Microscopy Research and Technique 71(6): 413-417. http://0-onlinelibrary.wiley.com.innopac.up.ac.za/journal/10.1002/(ISSN)1097-0029
- E Pretorius, HM Oberholzer, E Smit, E Steyn, S Briedenhann, RC Franz. 2008. Ultrastructural changes in platelet aggregates of HIV patients: a scanning electron microscopy study. Ultrastructural Pathology 32:3: 75-79.
- E Smit, E Pretorius, R Anderson, J Oommen, M. Potjo. 2008. Differentiation of human monocytes in vitro following exposure to Canova in the absence of cytokines. Ultrastructural Pathology 32: 147-152.
- QB Wessels and E Pretorius. 2008. Collagen based tissue engineering scaffold for dermal regeneration. SAJS 104: 513-516.
- HM Oberholzer, E Pretorius, E Smit, OE Ekpo, P Humphries, RE Auer. 2008. Investigating the effect of Withania somnifera, selenium and hydrocortisone on blood count and bronchial lavage of experimental asthmatic BALB/c mice. Scandinavian Journal of Laboratory Animal Science 34 (4): 239-248.
- O.E Ekpo, E. Pretorius. 2008. Using the BALB/c asthmatic mouse model to investigate the effects of hydrocortisone and an herbal asthma medicine on animal weight. Scandinavian Journal of Laboratory Animal Science 35(4):265-280.
- A.A. da Silva, M.J. Bester and E. Pretorius. 2007. Effects of mandrax and cannabis on the cellular function of chick embryonic neurons. Environmental Toxicology and Pharmacology 23: 82-88.
- H. Naudé, J. Marx, E. Pretorius, N. Hislop-Esterhuyzen. 2007. Evidence of early childhood defects due to prenatal over-exposure to vitamin a: a case study. Early Child Development and Care 177(3): 235-253.
- M Mutanen and E Pretorius. 2007. Subjective Visual Evaluation versus Traditional and Geometric Morphometrics in Species Delimitation: A Comparison on Moth Genitalia. Systematic Entomology 32: 371-386.
- M Claassen, H Naudé, E Pretorius and MC Bosman 2007. The contribution of prenatal stress to the pathogenesis of autism as a neurobiological developmental disorder – a dizygotic twin study. Early Child Development and Care 177: 1-25.
- E. Pretorius, E, Briedenhann, S, Marx J, Smit E, van der Merwe CF, Pieters M, Franz RC. 2007. Ultra-structural comparison of the morphology of three different platelet and fibrin fiber preparations. Anatomical Record. 290: 188 – 198.
- E Smit, E Pretorius. 2007. Combining the gold chloride and toluidine blue stains to investigate chick embryo neural tissue. Journal of Microscopy 226: 26-32.
- E Pretorius, P Humphries, OE Ekpo, E Smit, CF van der Merwe. 2007. Comparative Ultrastructural Analyses of Mouse, Rabbit and Human Platelets and Fibrin Networks. Microscopy, Research and Technique 70(9): 823-827.
- E Pretorius, OE Ekpo, E Smit. 2007. Comparative ultrastructural analyses of platelets and fibrin networks using the murine model of asthma. Experimental and Toxicologic Pathology 59 (2): 105-114.
- Robb, L, Marx J., Steenkamp G, van Heerden WFP, Pretorius E. 2007.Scanning Electron Microscopic Study of the Dentinal Tubules in Dog Canine Teeth. Journal of Veterinary Dentistry ;24(2):86-89.
- MS Bornman, E Pretorius, J Marx, E Smit, CF van der Merwe. 2007. Ultrastructural effects of DDT, DDD and DDE on neural cells of the chicken embryo model. Environmental Toxicology 22, (3): 328 - 336.
- E Pretorius and P Humphries. 2007. Ultrastructural changes to rabbit fibrin and platelets due to aspartame. Ultrastructural Pathology 31(2):77-83.
- O.E. Ekpo, E. Pretorius. 2007 Possible anti-inflammatory uses for the plant Euphorbia hirta. SAJS 103: 201-203
- J. Marx, H. Naudé, E Pretorius. 2006. The effects of Hypo- and hypervitaminosis A - Involvement in foetal nervous system development and post-natal sensorimotor functioning. The British Journal of Developmental Disabilities 102:47-64.
- E. Pretorius, M. Steyn, Y. Scholtz. 2006. Investigation into the Usability of Geometric Morphometric Analysis in Assessment of Sexual Dimorphism. American Journal of Physical Anthropology 129 (1): 64-70. (Second place in Faculty: best publication 2006;: non- clinical)
- J. Marx, E. Pretorius, M.S. Bornman. The neurotoxic effects of prenatal cardiac glycoside exposure: a hypothesis. Neurotoxicology and Teratology. 28(1):135-43.
- J. Marx, E. Pretorius, M.J. Bester. 2006. Effects of Urginea sanguinea, a traditional asthma remedy, on embryo neuronal development. Journal of Ethnopharmacology 104: 315-321. 76 (winner in Faculty: best publication 2006: young researcher: non-clinical)
- R. Britz, M. J. Bester, A. da Silva, N. A. Motsoane, J. Marx, H. Naudé and E. Pretorius. 2006.Piracetam: its possible mode of action in children with learning disabilities and its effect on in vitro cell growth. Earl Child Development and Care. 176: 285–298.
- C.F. Hoogendijk, W.F.P. van Heerden, E. Pretorius, H.F. Vismer and J.F. Jacobs. 2006. Rhino-orbitocerebral Entomophthoramycosis. Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery 35: 277-280.
- E. Pretorius, J. Marx. 2006. Datura stramonium in asthma treatment and possible effects on prenatal development. Environmental Toxicology and Pharmacology. 21: 331-337.
- C.F. Hoogendijk and E. Pretorius. 2006. Cavernous sinus anatomy as a basis for interpretation of the clinical picture and radiological investigations in a case of Entomophthorales infection. Clinical Anatomy, 19(6):535-539.
- C.F.Hoogendijk, E.Pretorius, W van Heerden, J Marx, A Imhof and M Schneemann. 2006. Detection of Villous Conidia of Conidiobolus coronatus in a blood sample by Scanning Electron Microscopy investigation. Ultrastructural Pathology 30(1):53-8. (Third place in Faculty: best publication 2006; young researchers: clinical)
- E. Pretorius, S. Briedenhann, J. Marx, R.C. Franz. 2006. Structural changes in the fibrin network of a Pretoria family with dysfibrinogenaemia: a scanning electron microscopical study. Ultrastructural Pathology 30(3):167-76 ( winner in Faculty: best publication 2006: clinical)
- E Pretorius, B Wallner, J Marx. Cortisol resistance in conditions like asthma and the involvement of 11-hsd-2: a hypothesis. Hormone and Metabolic Research 38: 368 – 376.
- C Strydom, C Robinson, E Pretorius, JM Whitcutt, J Marx, MS Bornman. 2006. The effect of selected metals on the central metabolic pathways in biology. Water SA. 32(4): 543-554.
- E Pretorius, MS Bornman, J Marx, E Smit, CF van der Merwe. 2006. Ultrastructural effects of low dosage endocrine disrupter chemicals on neural cells of the chicken embryo model. Hormone and Metabolic Research 38: 639-649.
- CF Hoogendijk, J Marx, EM Honey, E Pretorius, and AL Christianson. 2006. Ultrastructural investigation of Zimmermann-Laband Syndrome. Ultrastructural Pathology 30 (6): 423 – 426.
- E. Pretorius. 2005. Asthma medication and the role of serotonin in the development of cognitive and psychological difficulties. Early Child Development and Care. 175 (2): 139-152.
- H. Naudé, E. Pretorius, A.N. van Schoor. 2005. Neurological Integration As It Relates To Learning Among Children Who Presented With Excess Bilirubin Levels At Birth. British Journal of Developmental Disabilities. 51: 41-56.
- E. Pretorius. 2005. Using geometric morphometrics to investigate wing dimorphism in males and females of Hymenoptera – a case study based on the genus Tachysphex (Sphecidae: Larrinae). Australian Journal of Entomology. 44:113-121.
- A. C. Oettlé, E. Pretorius and M. Steyn. (2005) Geometric Morphometric Analysis of Mandibular Ramus Flexure. American Journal of Physical Anthropology 138 (3): 623-629.
- W. Potgieter, J.H. Meiring, J.M. Boon, E. Pretorius, J.P. Pretorius, P.J. Becker. 2005. Mandibular landmarks as an aid in minimizing injury to the marginal mandibular branch – a metric and geometric anatomical study. Clinical Anatomy. 18: 171-178.
- E. Pretorius, H. Naudé and U. Pretorius. 2005. Training the hippocampus and amygdala of preschool children by means of priming tasks: should parents rather focus on learning of facts than reading fairytales? Early Child Development and Care. 175 (4): 303-312.
- E. Pretorius, H. Naudé, C. Ribbens, M.C. Bosman. 2005. Discussing Pelizaeus-Merzbacher Disease, a developmental disorder affecting myelin formation in the nervous system. Journal of Developmental and Physical Disabilities. 17(2): 173-183
- B.M. Boca, Z. Apostolides, E. Pretorius. 2005. A validated HPLC method for determining residues of a dual activeingredient anti-malar ial drug on manufacturing equipment surfaces. Journal of Pharmaceutical and Biomedical Analysis. 37(3): 461-468.
- J. Marx, E. Pretorius, W. Espag, M.J. Bester 2005. Urginea sanguinea: medical wonder or death in disguise? Environmental Toxicology and Pharmacology 20: 26-34.
- E. Pretorius and M.S. Bornman. 2005. Estrogen, endocrine disrupters and their non-genomic function: a review of current opinions. South African Journal of Science 100:125-131.
- E. Pretorius and M.S. Bornman. 2005. Calcium-mediated aponecrosis play a central role in the pathogenesis of estrogenic chemical-induced neurotoxicity. Medical Hypotheses 65: 893-904.
- P. Humphries, E. Pretorius and J. M. Whitcutt. 2005. Determining water quality in South Africa: a review of available bioassays South African Journal of Science 101: 330-334.
- F.C. Clarke and E. Pretorius. 2005. A comparison of geometric morphometric analysis and cross-breeding as methods to determine relatedness in three Amblyomma species (Acari: Ixodidae). International Journal of Acarology 31 (4): 393-405.
- E. Pretorius, J. Marx. 2005. Datura stramonium, a traditional asthma remedy, may cause foetal neurotoxicity due to nicotinic and muscarinic receptors dysfunction. South African Journal of Science. 101:495-496.
- TK Philips, E Pretorius, CH Scholtz. 2004. A phylogenetic analysis of dung beetles (Scarabaeinae: Scarabaeidae): unrolling an evolutionary history. Invertebrate Systematics. 18: 53-88.
- E Pretorius. 2004. Asthma medication may influence the psychological functioning of children. Medical Hypothesis. 63(3): 409-413.
- M Steyn, E Pretorius and L Hutten. 2004. Geometric morphometric analysis of the greater sciatic notch in South Africans. HOMO 54 (3): 197-206.
- J. Marx and E. Pretorius. 2004. Asthma, a risk factor for dental caries. SADJ 59 (8): 274-279.
- AN van Schoor, H Naudé and M van Rensburg, E Pretorius and JM Boon. 2004. Cognitive and learning strategies for longstanding temporal lobe lesions in a child who suffered from Herpes simplex virus encephalitis: a case study over 10 years. Early Child Development and Care. 174(5): 487-500.
- H. Naudé, C.S. du Preez and E. Pretorius. 2004. Executive Emotional System Disruption As Causal Agent In Frontal Lobishness Among Abused Children. Early Child Development and Care. 174(5): 437-460.
- E. Pretorius. 2004. Corticosteroids, depression and the role of serotonin. Reviews in the Neurosciences.15 (2): 109-116.
- E. Pretorius and H. Naudé. 2004. The effects of dagga on the brain. The South African Journal of Epidemiology and Infection. 19 (2):69-74.
- E. Pretorius and J Marx. 2004. Direct and Indirect effects of corticosteroids on astrocyte functioning. Reviews in the Neurosciences 15 (2): 199-207.
- CS du Preez, H Naudé, E Pretorius. 2004. The influence of child neglect on language development. CARSA 5(2) 25-30.
- H Naudé and E Pretorius. 2003. Investigating the applicability of the ‘hue and cry’ requirement within the framework of psychological testimony regarding criminal sexual behaviour. Acta Criminologica. 16(1): 45 – 62.
- H Naudé, E Pretorius and J Viljoen. 2003. The impact of impoverished language development on preschoolers’ readiness-to-learn during the foundation phase. Early Child Development and Care. 173: 271 – 292.
- H Naudé, E Pretorius and S Vandeyar. 2003. Teacher professionalism – an innovative programme for teaching mathematics to foundation level learners with limited language proficiency. Early Child Development and Care. 173: 293 – 316.
- H Naudé and E Pretorius. 2003. Proposing an instructional framework for children with HIV/AIDS. British Journal of Special Education. 30:138-143.
- MJ Bester, F Erasmus and E Pretorius. 2003. Presenting an in vitro cell culture model to determine the cytotoxic affect of benzoyl peroxide vapours. SADJ. 58 183-188.
- H Naudé and E Pretorius. 2003. A diagnostic profile of Gerstmann’s syndrome: a case study. Early Child Development and Care. 173 (5): 519-526.
- E Pretorius and H Naudé. 2003. Dental amalgam and mercury toxicity: should dentists be concerned? SADJ. 58 (10): 366 – 369.
- H Naudé and E Pretorius. 2003. Can Herpes simplex virus encephalitis cause aphasia? Early Child Development and Care. 173 (6): 669-679.
- H Naudé and E Pretorius. 2003. Investigating the effects of asthma medication on the cognitive and psychosocial functioning of primary school children with asthma. Early Child Development and Care. 173 (6): 699-709.
- NA Motsoane, MJ Bester, E Pretorius and PJ Becker. 2003. An in vitro study of biological safety of condoms and their additives. Human and Experimental Toxicology. 22: 659-664.
- H Naudé, CS. du Preez and E Pretorius. 2003. The impact of child abuse as traumatic environmental stressor on the plasticity of intelligence. Child Abuse Research in South Africa. 4(2): 10-26.
- E Pretorius and H Naudé. 2003. Rohypnol: Rohypnol, the drug of choice for date rape. The South African Journal of Epidemiology and Infection. 18 (4): 109 – 112.
- E Pretorius. 2002. Intraocular lenses and possible side effects. The South African Optometrist 61 (1): 15-22.
- E Pretorius, H Naudé and CJ van Vuuren. 2002. Can cultural behavior have a negative impact on the development of visual integration pathways? Early Child Development and Care. 172(2): 173-181.
- E Pretorius 2002. Basic principles of allergic reactions. South African Dental Journal. 57: 274-277.
- E Pretorius, H. Naudé and PJ Becker 2002. Can excess bilirubin levels cause learning difficulties? Early Child Development and Care. 172 (4): 391-404.
- E Pretorius, H Naudé and E du Plessis. 2002. The importance of determining vision functioning in remedial teaching. The South African Optometrist. 61 (3): 101 – 103.
- E Pretorius and H Naudé 2002. The use of Magnetic Resonance Imaging (MRI) in identifying Post Traumatic Stress Disorder. Acta Criminologica. 15 (3): 111 – 117.
- AN van Schoor, E Pretorius, N Lizamore and JH Meiring. 2002. Prevalence of latex allergies among medical and dental students with minimum pervious latex exposure. The South African Journal of Epidemiology and Infection. 17: 34-35.
- E Pretorius. 2002. Allergic reactions caused by dental restorative products. South African Dental Journal 57: 239-242.
- BM Boca, E Pretorius, R Gochin, R Chapoullie and Z Apostolides. 2002. An overview on the validation approach for moist heat sterilization (Part 1). Pharmaceutical Technology. 26 (9): 62 –70.
- BM Boca, E Pretorius, R Gochin, R Chapoullie and Z Apostolides. 2002. An overview on the validation approach for moist heat sterilization (Part 2). Pharmaceutical Technology. 26(10): 96 – 112.
- E Pretorius and H Naudé. 2002. A culture in transition: Poor reading and writing ability among children in South African townships. Early Child Development and Care. 172 (5), 439 – 449.
- E Pretorius and H Naudé. 2002. Results from an empirical study: the impact of carrying a child on the back on the development of visual integration pathways. Early Child Development and Care. 172 (6): 585-594.
- H Naudé and E Pretorius. 2002. Addressing educational needs of children with HIV/AIDS. Journal of Research in Special Educational Needs. November. Electronic – Journal Vol 2 (3): www.nasen.uk.com
- H Naudé and E Pretorius. 2002. The quest for an instructional delivery framework for children with Gerstmann’s syndrome. Early Child Development and Care. 172 (6): 643-658.
- E Pretorius and H Naudé. 2002. Cannabis use in South Africa. SAMJ.92 (12): 927 - 928
- E Pretorius and CH Scholtz. 2001. Geometric Morphometrics and the analysis of higher taxa: a case study based on the metendosternite of the Scarabaeoidea (Coleoptera). Biological journal of the Linnaean Society 74(1): 35-50.
- E Pretorius, NA Motsoane and MJ Bester. 2001. Evaluation of the biological safety of condoms using an in vitro cell culture method. South African Medical Journal 91: 51.
- NV Nkomo, E Pretorius and MJ Bester. 2001. Prevalence of latex allergies amongst a group of South African dentists. South African Dental Journal. 56: 381-382.
- E Pretorius, MJ Bester and PJ Becker 2001. Suspected Latex Allergy within a South African population of Health Care Professionals: a Need for Guidelines. The South African Journal of Epidemiology and Infection. 16: 46-70.
- LL Meyer, E Pretorius and JM Whitcutt 2001. Investigating parameters influencing the k-562 cell line: a cytotoxicity assay for potential application to water quality assessment. The South African Journal of Epidemiology and Infection. 16: 77-81.
- E Pretorius and FC Clarke 2001. Geometric morphometric analysis of the male and female body shape of Amblyomma gemma, A. variegatum and A. hebraeum. International Journal of Acarology 27 (4): 271-279.
- NA Motsoane, E Pretorius and MJ Bester. 2001. Evaluation of the biological safety of condoms using an in vitro cell culture method. Analytical and Cellular Pathology. 23: 51-59.
- E Pretorius and MJ Bester. 2000. What every health worker should know: the allergic potential of surgical gloves. The South African Journal of Epidemiology and Infection. 15: 43-45.
- E Pretorius and FC Clarke. 2000. Geometric morphometric analysis of the male and female body shape of Hyalomma truncatum and H. marginatum rufipes (Acari: Ixodidae). International Journal of Acarology 26: 229 – 238.
- E Pretorius and MJ Bester. 2000. Biological system to assess the potential toxicity of surgical gloves. South African Journal of Science 96: 540 and 566.
- E Pretorius, K Philips and CH Scholtz. 2000. Geometric morphometrics, the metendosternite and its uses in phylogenetics of the Scarabaeinae (Coleoptera). Elytron 14: 119 – 140.